Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Wind, Waves, and the skin of my teeth

I use to laugh when people would say it's harder to put on an event than actually race in one. We'll having been on both sides of the spectrum I still say it's a toss up. However last night the edge goes to race directing being harder. My brother had to work late so volunteers were used in more needed areas, leaving me solo on the fishing boat. I had to save 2 people which is no big situation, but post race is when things got interesting. A storm started to roll in around 7:30 and with it the waves. You're probably thinking, it's Cherry Creek, how bad could the waves and wind get? We'll, trying to cut loose the buoys from the fixed mooring line was one tricky feat! Try getting close, cutting the motor since it doesn't idle, and hanging off the bow to cut the buoy loose all while drifting away. Several failed attempts and it was time for plan 2. I came back out in the kayak, which made the removal process smooth. That is until I the wind started carrying the kayak and buoys to shore, all of course with me along for the ride. Plan 3, it was time to improvise! 20min later I finally kayaked to shore with the buoy line between my teeth, I giant knife between my legs, water filling fast in the kayak, and did I mention my kayak skills are lacking! All part of a great night!

No comments: